Friday, December 13, 2013

Day 60: A Little Bit About the Sound Design

For a game with a lot of emphasis on sound, we haven't spoken a lot about it. A word from our very own composer and sound designer Tim Bijnen:

The music starts with a 'muzak' kind of feeling since there is not too much happening in the intro. When the protagonists start their journey the music start to play a bigger role. In the beginning of the journey I wanted to use theme created by the composers. You can hear Bach's cello suite no.1, Beethoven's fur elise, and Mozart's 40th symphony. The music at the storks base is based on a atonal theme that I've written myself. When they reach Egypt I used the most commonly know Egyptian scale, and in the last scene I once again used the storks theme for the spaceship, and the composers' themes when the story is finished.

The audio programming had to change since there were some timing issues.

When first entering an area, an audio track starts playing containing music, sound effects and dialogue. When that's finished an other audio track starts looping containing background noise. Now the player has to make a decision. When the decision is made a new audio track takes over, again containing music, sound effects and dialogue. Whenever there is a puzzle that has to be solved, a separate audio track containing music and some times sound effects start playing, and the dialogue is separated in an other audio track. 

Most of the sound effects I made or recorded myself. Other come from freesound or classmates. 

for example
- I've synthesized wind using white noise an filtering
- the caiman sample is my cat in combination with a sink
- the sound of the automated doors in the base are a combination of a automatic screwdriver and sound that my 3 months old son made


No comments:

Post a Comment